It is really important to be safe when you shop online. With online shopping comes some risks, and there are a few things you can do to protect yourself.
- Make sure you are using reputable sites. Using well-known companies that you do business with on a regular basis would be safe. If you surf and find a deal with a company you’ve never heard of, please research the company for diligence.
- Consider using a payment system such as PayPal. If the company you purchased from gets compromised, your information will be safe because you used PayPal and hackers won’t have access to your sensitive data.
- Password selection is important. Make it easy to remember, but hard to guess. Use different passwords for all your shopping sites. Password vault software is a popular software solution that you can purchase to remember your passwords.
- Ensure that your operating system, internet browsers, and other plug-in software, such as Java and Adobe Reader, are up-to-date. Keep your systems patched to close off common holes.
- Watch for cyber scammers sending phishing emails. If you get an e-mail touting a great sale, it is better to copy the web address from the email and key into your browser rather than clicking the link.
For more tips from Mark Burnette, check out the Identity and Data Theft Protection entry.
The LBMC Information Security team can help you assess your risks and ensure that your security efforts produce the greatest benefit and have the most effective impact. Contact us today to learn more!