Information security and compliance…it’s a critical part to any organization, but is often thought of being highly technical and a fruitless pursuit. The good news is, information management doesn’t have to be overly complicated, and it begins with simple practices and tools your organization may already have.
Below are the Five Easy Steps for Information Security & Compliance Success
Step 1: Content Services & Document Management:
If you use systems such as OnBase by Hyland or Square 9, these systems have features you need to improve information security and compliance built in.
- Records & Retention Management: Automates the process of declaring documents as records, performing retention tasks like automatic archival or deletion, reducing exposure in case of a data breach
- Version Control: To defensible data processing and holds, this is critical because it ensures the right version of a document is produced or process during eDiscovery
- Data Masking & Redaction: Automates the masking of private information in documents based on rules set in place.
Step 2: Data Protection Enhanced at Every State
Data is susceptible under many circumstances: when it’s used, where its stored, and even when moving between platforms. These precautions listed below can improve data protection in each state.
- Data Encryption: provides an additional layer of protection when your data is stored, in transit or in use, making it useless to hackers in the event of a breach
- Secure Development Lifecycle: Prioritizes information security, making sure your software vendor minimizes vulnerabilities in your technology platforms and provides more efficient incident responses
- Access Controls & Group Policies: Fine-tune access to data based on user roles or corporate policies
Step 3: Confidential Data Outside of Core Systems
Most organizations utilize many systems and applications. When confidential information ends up outside of core systems, such as file sharing or email attachments, it creates security and compliance risks for that organization. A confidential information discovery solution can help monitor and remove confidential information from locations not authorized.
- Federated Search: Monitors any number of sites, systems, applications, and devices
- Automated Search Queries: Provides an alert when the system detects a violation
- Robust Querying: Finds keywords, phrases, and characters in files and attachments
Step 4: Empower Collaboration & Sharing without Losing Control
Businesses share information with internal and external users on a daily basis, introducing risks if the platforms lack key security features. File sharing services such as ShareBase by Hyland provides file sharing and collaboration features, keeping your data secure.
- Access Controls: Allow corporate user accounts, SSO integration, and easily transfers and revokes access
- Compliance: Minimizes compliance risks with data protection and location requirements
- Automated Sharing: Automated sharing reduces the risks of accidental exposure and errors
Step 5: Simplify Audits
Many of the security standards, regulations, and litigation processes rely on an organization’s capability to produce defensible logs and reports that prove compliance and due diligence to information access and processing. Information Management tools make it easy to configure and access reports and system logs. Some expert tips include:
- Enhance Reporting & Logging Features: These features of your content services system can help generate reports outlining user access and security, system health and system configuration changes and permissions
- Advanced Search: Can help find records based on index values, dates, metadata, keywords and other contents
- Auditing: Provides defensible audit trails for system and user activity, enable external access for auditors and regulators while reducing audit disruption for your team
Up your Information Security Game
It’s important for organization leaders to “up their game” concerning information security and compliance and take a proactive approach to the topic. If you’d like to speak with one of our amazing team members on how to “up your game”, contact us today.