LBMC assists healthcare providers in identifying and planning telehealth programs. There are many benefits to launching a telehealth program such as expanding geographical reach, combating physician burnout and turnover, boost patient and physician engagement, and reducing healthcare service costs. Our team members have real-world experience to help companies find solutions to complex issues by utilizing technology.
Is a Telehealth program right for you? Check out these FAQs.
- Q: Telehealth, should my organization do this? A: Telehealth has helped many physicians and organizations expand access to care for their patients. It can also be used to mitigate other operational and care coordination issues. Adoption is growing at a rapid pace, and healthcare is becoming more consumer-centric. According to a survey completed by American Well, 1 in 5 physicians currently use telehealth to care for patients.
- Q: What about reimbursement? A: Medicare only reimburses for specific services and has a number of limitations. Medicaid is state regulated, and each one has a different set of rules and requirements. We recommend that you view your individual state policies for more information as Medicare has recently expanded the amount of coverage and reimbursement for these services. Most private insurers provide coverage for some form of Telehealth. Currently, 39 states including District of Columbia have enacted, or are in the process of enacting, laws that govern private payer telehealth reimbursement policy.
- Q: What about Telehealth technology? A: There are multiple peripheral and software options available on the market today. You must determine which one will fit your current technical infrastructure and is interoperable across other platforms you may have. Usability is key to maximum adoption. If you want people to use to, it must be user-friendly.
- Q: Are there any loopholes I should look for?A: It depends on what services you are planning to implement. You will need to consider all legal and regulatory requirements, during program planning.
- Q: Where do I start?A: You can start by doing an environmental scan of Telehealth in your state. This will answer most of the important questions and help guide you in your planning process.
- Q: What is the process of developing a program like this?A: It is a multistep process that requires a companywide approach. The process will need to align with your strategic plans and will require buy-in from stakeholders at all levels.
- Q: Can Telehealth be used to help with physician recruitment? How? A: Yes, Telehealth programs can be strategically implemented to help improve physician support and quality of life. Due to current physician shortages, many organizations have leveraged Telehealth to increase coverage and improve bandwidth.