Chris Lovin , CPA/ABV/CFF, CFE
Shareholder, Practice Leader Valuation & Litigation Support Services
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Master of Accountancy; Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Major in Accounting
Christopher M. (Chris) Lovin is Shareholder-in-charge of the LBMC Valuation & Litigation Support Services practice. He practices in two primary areas: commercial litigation/forensic accounting and business valuation.
His passion for these two service areas is driven by opportunities to teach attorneys, triers of fact and business owners about the financial and analytical aspects of these engagements.
Chris spends the majority of his career engaged in commercial litigation with complex financial and economic issues. He has testified numerous times as an expert witness regarding lost profits in commercial litigation cases. His engagements include litigation resulting from the following:
- Breach of contract
- Infringement of intellectual property
- Unfair competition
- Shareholder disputes
- Securities fraud
These engagements require the compilation and analysis of large amounts of accounting, financial, statistical and economic data. He summarizes and presents this data in a clear and convincing manner using meaningful and concise reports, visual aids and effective expert testimony.
Chris performs business valuations and valuations of intangible assets covering a broad spectrum of industries. His valuations are used for myriad purposes including mergers and acquisitions, transition planning, purchase price allocations, commercial litigation, and marital dissolution.
Chris’ valuation practice has a concentration in healthcare and healthcare technology companies. Healthcare companies valued include physician practices, ambulatory surgery centers, hospitals, imaging centers, dialysis clinics and assisted living facilities.
Chris has significant experience in the valuation of complex earnouts and intangible assets including the following:
- Trademarks and trade names
- Proprietary technology
- Customer relationships
- Non-competition agreements
- Personal goodwill
Chris started his career in public accounting as a financial statement auditor and spent two years in that role before moving into the Litigation and Valuation Services group. His audit and accounting background helped him build a diverse litigation and valuation practice. Representative litigation engagements include the following:
- Fraud examination involving embezzlement by an employee of $1.1 million over a ten year using four different schemes leading to a plea agreement with the district attorney’s office
- Fraud examination involving embezzlement of $670,000 over a three year period requiring testimony in criminal court
- Trade dress infringement case regarding guitar design requiring a calculation of profits earned by the alleged infringer requiring testimony for disgorgement of those profits in Federal Court
- Copyright infringement case involving floor plan designs requiring a calculation of profits earned by the alleged infringer requiring testimony for disgorgement of those profits in Federal Court
- Valuations of affiliated companies subject to a shareholder dispute and conflicts of interest requiring testimony in Chancery Court
- Assessment of lost profits related to an alleged inducement to breach a non-solicitation agreement leading to testimony in Federal Court
Chris performs valuations to assist his clients with the following:
- Goodwill impairment testing to comply with FASB ASC 350
- Valuations of intangible assets and earnouts to comply with FASB ASC 805 regarding the allocation of purchase price to tangible and intangible assets
- Valuations of stock-based compensation including stock options, restricted stock and phantom stock to comply with FASB ASC 718
- Valuations of closely-held companies for the purpose of determining the value of equity interests in those companies for federal and state gift and estate tax planning and reporting
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)