Mark Burnette , CPA, CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL, QSA
Shareholder, Practice Leader of Risk Services
Carson–Newman University, Mark earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Carson-Newman College, where he graduated Summa Cum Laude while serving as a placekicker for C-N’s nationally ranked NCAA Division II college football team. Mark also serves as an Adjunct Professor of Accounting at Belmont University, where he teaches Accounting Information Systems.
Mark Burnette is the Practice Leader of the risk services division of LBMC, PC. He directs the firm’s resources to craft security solutions that mitigate those risks in a way that is relevant, practical and actionable in the organization’s environment.
Mark believes security must begin with a holistic assessment of risk. Because of his seventeen plus years of experience leading and transforming information security functions, Mark understands at a deep level the full range of business, operational, and technology risks that organizations face- and he excels at articulating them in a manner that resonates with business leaders.
For example, he:
- Enables businesses to focus their resources on mission-critical activities by managing the scope of compliance with PCI and other security frameworks, as well as assessing and eliminating gaps in compliance
- Evaluates security implications of new technology initiatives with a goal of ensuring that the final product achieves the organization’s intended objectives
- Coaches IT executives to articulate security issues in a way that will gain boardroom buy-in and financial support
Mark spent more than eight years leading the information security and compliance functions for two large corporations (international insurance broker The Willis Group and national hotelier Gaylord Entertainment Company) before founding and leading a security consulting company and ultimately joining LBMC in 2011. He also helped to build the information security consulting practice for the Middle Tennessee office of one of the Big Four accounting firms.
Mark has received numerous commendations for his contributions to information security on behalf of his employers and the community at large. Most recently, the Information Systems Security Association (ISSA) named Mark a Fellow; one of a handful of individuals internationally recognized for their accomplishments in information security, leadership, and service to the association and profession. Mark is also a contributing author for the Association of International Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and a member of its Cybersecurity Working Group.
In his role leading Gaylord’s IT operations and Security function, Mark led a cutting-edge implementation of a security information and event management (SIEM) solution in 2008. Recognizing his thought leadership in this emerging area of technology, technology think-tank Gartner, Inc., invited him to present the success story at its national conference.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise Information Technology (CGEIT)
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) V3 Foundations
- Payment Card Industry Qualified Security Assessor (PCI QSA)
- Payment Card Industry Professional (PCIP)