Health insurer moves to cloud to manage six million documents
A leading health insurer started using an on-premises OnBase enterprise content management (ECM) solution to electronically capture documents and information, store that content in a central repository and make it instantly available to users. It also used the ECM solution to integrate existing line-of-business applications, giving them the ability to communicate and share information. After achieving great results, it wanted to do more, including automating manual and paper-based processes.
Unfortunately, IT resource constraints limited the organization’s choices. To evolve, it needed to figure out a way to expand the system without the help of the IT department.
So the insurer turned to the OnBase Cloud.
Taking advantage of top-tier technology, software-as-a-service solutions (SaaS) – also called cloud services, cloud computing or hosted solutions – utilize software via the Internet. The cloud provider maintains the infrastructure for the system while maintaining and supporting the system in a secure, central location.
With the OnBase Cloud, organizations take advantage of cloud-based ECM solutions within Hyland’s specialized content management cloud, a market pioneered by Hyland Software.
Using a completely hosted solution means the leading insurer doesn’t have to worry about infrastructure, disaster recovery or security requirements. And the OnBase Cloud solution uses exactly the same software as the on-premises solution, so no business areas lost any functionality when the insurer switched from one to the other. The company still owns its data and has the option to move back and forth between the solutions according to business needs.
The OnBase Cloud also reduces the insurer’s reliance on the IT department, while offering the flexibility to grow with the organization. Not only is the company free from infrastructure worries, end users easily build electronic document workflows to automate and speed processes while increasing accuracy.
The insurer’s data is completely secure because the OnBase Cloud hosts its solutions in one of six ISO-controlled Tier 4 data centers. The data centers have N+1 redundancy and are strategically located around the globe, so there is no single point of failure. Quarterly internal audits ensure that the insurer’s data is stored securely and highly available.
No matter what happens, users always have access to data with a few mouse-clicks, even during emergencies.
With a flexible deployment model and monthly fees instead of a big upfront expense, the insurance organization has reduced and predicted IT costs more easily. Without on-premises infrastructure limitations, the SaaS software solution can change and grow as needs change and grow without adding complexity or resources, setting the company up for long-term success.
The Return on Investment
- Expanded solution without infrastructure investment: With the OnBase Cloud, the insurer expands the solution to speed processes and ease information access across the enterprise without reliance on the IT department.
- Increase in productivity: The OnBase Cloud helps support the automation of $3 million in claims recoveries every year and manages six million documents.
- Improved customer service: With its quickly-deployed hosted solution, the health insurer gets increased speed to market, faster processing of renewals and increased information access. Not only does staff book new business faster and increase customer service levels, it does so at a reduced cost.
- Increased document and data security: Before OnBase, the insurer used one printer, so Explanations of Benefits (EOBs) could become co-mingled. Now EOBs are printed in a controlled environment, so it’s impossible for them to become mixed up.
- Increased compliance and audit controls: The OnBase Cloud allows the insurer to proactively manage documents and information in a secure fashion that controls revisions, tracks changes and provides configurable retention periods – all while adhering to regulatory standards like HIPAA, PPACA and Dodd-Frank.
About Hyland Software
For more than 20 years, Hyland Software has been dedicated to meeting organizations’ needs for document and process management with OnBase, an ECM solution suite. As OnBase and the OnBase Cloud have evolved through consistent product innovation, they remain focused on automating business processes that depend on documents, content and people to operate more effectively.
Hyland Software is the pioneer of ECM in the cloud. Since 2000, the OnBase Cloud has been empowering more than 500 organizations in 22 countries around the world to better manage the content that surrounds their processes. The hosted solution connects people to the documents, data and processes they need to make more informed decisions – without additional infrastructure needs. Employee productivity increases because they spend less time searching for paper and dedicate more time to providing quality service to their customers.